Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Humans & Stuff

So today I worked roughly 8 hours, and during at least 7 of those hours we were shopping. Yep. I got paid ten dollars an hour to follow my boss around with a shopping cart, give her my opinion, (which always ends up being real similar to hers haha) and take all of her hyper yelling-ness. Probably a bit more stressful than you think. So anyways during days like today I like to reflect on human nature. Habits that we ALL have. I started wondering how life would be for humans if we didn't have a language. I was thinking about how English, and every other language for that matter, is man made. It's not something that just naturally happens. We  label these objects and emotions, put them into words. What if these words are holding us back? What if there were no words and we could only express ourselves through what we did? When I think my mind doesn't speak, or hear words, it see's pictures. & the pictures my brain subconsciously chooses to relate with times and places completely match. When I try to put words out and explain how I feel I seriously feel trapped sometimes. It makes me wish that we were all cave men. Juuuust think about it. If I was to see someone walk up, and they were dressed weirdly or for some reason stood out, would I so instantly judge them? And if I were to still judge them (because that's just what humans do whether you admit it or not) would the judgments be so negative and come from a pre-made list of common words like: dirty, poor, lazy, mess up. Or would I look out to see why these people are different. We have these judgments and these words imprinted in our minds so that it becomes a habit to relate or connect certain things to certain labels. We try to put this man made language on every natural being of life. Yeah it's productive with science and building and stuff. But I honestly would love to live in a world with no language. Actions speak louder than words, I wish actions could replace words completely. Just how I'm feeling tonight lol...

3 comments:

  1. In my Anthropology class we just studied a chapter on language. It's funny because lots of words don't translate or even exist from one language to another.

    But knowing you...I really think that you would hate not being able to talk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha but if I never even learned to talk to begin with I would be way more expressive in other ways.. Like probably an awesome interpretive dancer. I dunno just one of the random thoughts I ponder when I'm zoning out in public ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A world without Desi's voice?...forget about it! ha ha

    ReplyDelete